Comprehensive Examination Request
The Department of Physics provides comprehensive examinations for the following courses:
- PHY 121 University Physics I: Mechanics
- PHY 131 University Physics II: Electricity and Magnetism.
Comprehensive examinations do not provide students with lab credit (PHY 122 or PHY 132) nor will the exam provide a letter grade. Students will receive 3 hours of lecture credit only.
Students are responsible for paying a $150.00 comprehensive examination fee before completing the exam.
Comprehensive Examination Process:
Step 1: Meet with your academic advisor to verify eligibility. If eligible, student's advisor makes a note in PeopleSoft stating you meet requirements to take the comprehensive exam.
To be eligible to apply to take a comprehensive examination to establish undergraduate course equivalence, a student must:
- Have less than 100 hours
- Have not earned more than 60 semester hours of credit through comprehensive, CLEP, international baccalaureate, and advanced placement examinations
- Have not earned credit for a duplicate course
- Have not taken the course for which the student is applying for credit at any other institution
- Have not received credit for an upper division course in the same subject and have not earned credit for a course for which this course is a prerequisite.
Step 2: The exam will take place during scheduled finals in fall and spring terms only. We have two instructors that issue comprehensive exams, Dr. Arlinda Hill and Dr. Gary Adams. Use the Class Search to determine the times they teach, then use the final exam schedule to determine corresponding exam times. If needed, please contact the instructor directly for more information regarding when their final exam will be held.
Step 3: Initiate comprehensive examination arragement form. Please include the instructor's name and email. Your request will not be processed if information is missing.
Arlinda Hill, Arlinda.Hill@asu.edu
Gary Adams, GBAdams@asu.edu
Step 4: Once all signers have completed the arrangement form provide a copy to Cashiering Services and pay $150 fee.
Step 5: Email a copy of the receipt to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include your name and student ID in your email.
Step 6: Complete comprehensive examination
Step 7: Instructor will notify student of pass/fail status. If a "pass" is issued, instructor will process paperwork for credit to be added to student's account.
You will be contacted via email with your comprehensive exam results.