See ASU Grades and Grading Policies
EU - Student began participation but did not complete the course or obtain a passing grade.
EN- Student never participated in the course and did not withdrawal.
E - Student completed the course but did not obtain a passing grade
An incomplete should only be granted to students if they meet the following criteria:
- Currently have a passing grade in the course (C or higher)
- Few remaining assignments (midterm and beyond)
- Are unable to attend the remainder of the class (last month or less) due to illness, family emergency, financial hardship, etc.
An Incomplete should NOT be granted to a student who:
- Currently has a failing grade
- Has not completed majority of coursework (70% or more)
- Who has not experienced an unforeseen hardship. Students who have experienced a medical emergency/hardship at the start or middle of course should seek a Medical Withdrawal, an Incomplete is not appropriate for this instance.
Students who are approved for an Incomplete DO NOT need to register for the course in a subsequent semester. The student’s final grade will be entered on the original course grade roster. Students have up to a year to complete the course, however, the instructor may assign a shorter time period.